Friday, December 07, 2007

"I was grown doing drawings."

That is an interesting way of describing a life in art. This simple expression says more than, “I grew up doing art”. It rather recognises that art created growth. So often, when young people are taught to draw or paint, there is force put upon “How to do it”, or even worse—follow these steps and make what I make. Art becomes coercion. Orokie’s interesting statement does not recognise force. It recognises liberation, the “Why I do it” (against all odds). As teacher to himself, Orokie places emphasis on feeling, not rationality, on an organic link between himself, others, nature. His art taps into the roots and branches of feeling, Eros.

2 comments:

gayuganda said...

Oh brother, brother;

Yes, I know you do appreciate Orokie. Now, I am no expert in language, but I am a little proficient at this English which is not my first language.

Orokie's expression, quaint as they are, are as much a part of him as he is himself.

When I went to school, someone impressed on me the rules and grammars and everything. I learnt them. But I was good at rules and bad at the languages.

Now I speak this one torelably, and write it better. But I will not lie to you that I have made a study of it. I have not and will not. Because the rules hide the beauty in a language. A language is a living thing.

Orokie's expression, quaint as they are say more than just the face value of their words.

Gosh. Why am I in such a mood?

Orokie, I want to see your write.

gug

Afriboy said...

Rules do not hide the beauty in language. Rules (the psychological grammars of the brain) create language. Beauty comes from the transcendent usage of those rules.